18 Way's to Get to Know Your Youth!
1. Visit their rooms: Check out bulletin boards. Look at books, magazines, CDs. Observe posters and pictures. Try to personally visit each youth once a year, and call them once a month (for large youth groups, for smaller ones double this).
2. Read a teen magazine: (YM, Teen People, Seventeen, Rolling Stone, Thrasher, etc. )
3. Go to their sports events, for more points go to their practices!
4. Read the school newspaper
5. Check out the high school yearbook (s)
6. Get a FBI background check (just kidding, but you can do this...)
7. Interview a baby-sitter
8. Talk to parents
9. Interview pets
10. Visit their school at lunch, and for major points bring pizza!
11. Interview school personnel (teachers, counselors, principal, janitor)
12. Ask them what music they like
13. Ask them what hobbies they like
14. Notice their clothing style
15. Hang out at the mall or local gathering place
16. Survey your kids (use written survey to find attitudes, feelings, etc.)
17. Have kids wear T-shirts on which their personal problems are printed.
(c) 1984, 1994 R. J. Krejcir www.intothyword.com